Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dear Family and Friends,

I’m reflecting today on a video I recently had the privilege of watching. It is of a young lady in Vancouver who had terminal cancer (she was 37 years old and had been vigilantly fighting cancer for four years - unfortunately she did succumb to it in early July this year). In March of 2009, Rachel was to speak to a group of 40 women at her church. She ended up speaking to over 600 in a venue that could accommodate that many attendees. Rachel said, "Cancer does not define me. Neither does being a wife or a mother. All these things are part of who I am but they do not define me. What defines me is my relationship... with Jesus." She makes four points in the talk: Know God. Know Yourself. Know the Gospel. Know your Purpose. You can spend 55 minutes and watch it here if you're interested or go here to read the written transcript.

A friend read my last blog entry and commented that this video reminded her of my own message. I’m not sharing this video with you because I think I too am dying from this cancer today. I don’t. I share this with you because I believe our messages are very similar. My message and that of the video is: know yourself ~ know your purpose. Rachel, however, was also able to voice the meaning of God in her life and the importance of reading and studying the Bible.

There is little I can add to this heart-wrenching story. Nor can I possibly add to this message other than to share it with you and to say how I’ve learned throughout my 57 years the importance of serving others and doing so with joy.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love,

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment