Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 26, 2010

Dear Family and Friends,

As mentioned a couple of days ago, I had my first post-cancer treatment mammogram. Unfortunately, the radiologist discovered some new calcifications in the same breast so the mammogram was followed by a core needle biopsy. It’s my first core needle biopsy and probably like most cancer survivors, I find myself asking…do I have to experience every type of diagnostic test and cancer treatment known to man? Here’s what I learned about core needle biopsies.

• No preparation is needed. Eat, don’t eat – makes no difference. They do advise not taking aspirin or aspirin like products such as fish oil or Vitamin E for a couple of days prior to the procedure (to prevent excess bleeding) but other than that there is nothing to do in preparation for this procedure.

• The core needle biopsy places a woman on a thin metal table (metal so that the x-ray’s don’t penetrate). There is a hole (literally) in the table so that one breast can hang.

• The technician positions the breast for the radiologist to view the suspicious area (clusters of calcium deposits in my case). Positioning the breast took about 40 minutes. It was more than uncomfortable and a couple of times I actually gasped from the pain. I kept thinking that perhaps I should have taken the Valium when they offered it earlier.

• The facility was fine. I have no complaints. There was jazz music playing the entire time and everyone was kind.

Now I’m in the wait and see period following my first post-treatment mammogram and I’m wondering had I opted for the double mastectomy versus lumpectomy if I could have saved myself this additional grief? Also, is this what it’s going to be like every time I have a mammogram? Wait and see? Oh – I hate that.

I followed up the mammogram with a bone density test and should get the results shortly for this as well.

I’ll keep you posted.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love,

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment