Sunday, February 8, 2009

Dear Family,

I want to let you know that yesterday I was told I have breast cancer. I found a small pea size lump in my left breast which I found about 10 days ago and a core biopsy taken on Friday indicating breast cancer. I’m going to go for additional testing and even have the pathology report re-checked at University of Michigan before undergoing any invasive surgery or treatment, however most likely the second opinion will be the same.

If it goes as it appears, I have a small cancer (for the nurses in the family: 8 mm –measured by ultrasound, well differentiated) and it can be removed with lumpectomy, followed by radiation and then hormonal treatment.

I continue to be in very good health. My weight is good, no hypertension or diabetes, my colon is polyp free (yeah) and my bones are strong (although I do take a once a year medication for them and I exercise everyday).

Yesterday when Mom called (to share that it was the anniversary of Freda’s birthday) and I told her about the breast cancer I said ‘this is the worse day of my life’, however I want to say that it wasn’t. - I've had worse – this is a crappy time that will demand David and I take time away from the family and our enjoyment in life to get the treatment. Yanni (Anna) is still beautifully pregnant. She had a baby shower yesterday and received so many wonderful gifts from her family. The baby is due March 11th and they are certainly ready now. We are planning a baby shower in April when the baby is about one-month old and we will invite everyone – not just women. Its always such a long way for most of you to visit, so don’t worry, we’ll send pictures.

I see the breast surgeon later today to create a plan of care and next steps. I’ll keep everyone informed.

Love,

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment