Tuesday, June 23, 2009

1st Stop Radiation, Next Alaska!

Dear Family and Friends,

So much has happened and I’ve had so little time to write so I’ll try to catch you up.

Radiation – Verification: This trip to radiation was quick and easy although I found myself stopping to put my emotions in check when I came to the entrance and found myself parking in the ‘Radiation Patients Only’ area. No more denying it ~ I’m a radiation patient now. Verification is simply that - a session where they literally rehearse what will happen when the real radiation treatments start. Walking down the hallway leading once again to the small changing room, I ran into one of the doc’s I’ve known for about 15 years. He asked, “How’s it going?” to which I replied, “It is going.” Not really much more to say. I’m done with chemotherapy and I’m in the next phase of treatment.

Vacation Time: Three days after radiation verification we left for our annual family vacation. As most of you know, we have tried to continue our tradition of annual family vacations and most of the time all of the children and spouses make it. This year, however, we are vacationing with Marc and Dima only. We planned this trip in December long before my cancer diagnosis. As the diagnosis and treatment plans unfolded, we were happy we could still fit in this trip. We chose an Alaskan cruise because even in December our thoughts were geared toward doing something that would be relaxing – not the daily rush we had last year in our trip to Italy. We departed for Alaska on Sunday and traveled to Anchorage to begin the cruise. Before we left to board the boat however I headed to the stores and bought some warmer clothing. It was 57 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday morning in Anchorage and 41 degrees this morning as we cruise the College Fjord.

First night on the cruise ~ a casualty: We went to bed early last night due to trip fatigue. I woke early as is my habit and on my way to the bathroom I slipped and caught myself with my right arm (my “good” arm). Unfortunately, I must have twisted my wrist or something because it immediately throbbed and started to swell. We chose to wait until morning to seek medical attention so next stop for us is the infirmary.

Love,

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment