Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The week is not going well...

Family and Friends,

We've had quite a week. As most of you know David's 89 year old mother passed on last Thursday, with her funeral on Monday. Unfortunately Monday was not a good day for me. I felt sick all morning and was happy to get into PJ's and sit in front of the TV by early afternoon. My temperature went up to 102 so David drove me to the office to check on my blood count. The WBC's were high again, 93.0 (normal 3.3 - 10.7) and I started vomiting. They wheel-chaired me over to the hospital for outpatient infusion of an antibiotic. Within an hour I had an allergic reaction with hives from head to toe and shortness of breath. I was then admitted the hospital and the antibiotic changed. Monday night at the hospital was pretty uneventful. Tuesday I felt better in the morning but by afternoon spiked another temperature. Wednesday morning (this morning) I was begging to get out of the hospital. The IV had infiltrated and the nurse was struggling to get another one in. Actually, I was crying and nothing looks more pathetic than a bald headed woman crying. I finally said - 'call Dr. J and tell him to get me out of here!'. It worked - Drs. J and Burdakin both came over and decided I could leave the hospital. Brian picked me up and I'm home. So far I haven't spiked another afternoon temperature so I think I'm good to go.


Why the high WBC's? They believe the Neulasta injection that they gave me a couple days after the treatment to increase my white blood cell count was too much for me (again). They aren't sure why the vomiting and high temp but it could be the high WBC's. They consulted a infectious disease doc and she was stumped too. Nothing turned up on the cultures, urine sample, chest xray, etc. Needless to say they have decided I won't be getting Neulasta ever, ever again!

I'll be home another day and then I can head back to work.

I'm so wishing to have this chemotherapy treatment over.

Keep the thoughts and prayers coming. This time I think David needs them just to handle the the chaos in his life.

Love,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment