Saturday, May 9, 2009

3rd Treatment - completed

Dear Family and Friends,

I completed my 3rd chemotherapy treatment yesterday. I have only one more to go. I wrote about how I felt the day before the treatment and placed it on my newly created web site. The publishing company for our new book (ONS) recommended a web site so that if readers wanted to contact me they could easily find me. The web site includes a section where I ‘blog’. Blogging seems much like the email’s I’ve been sending you, so I included those. Web site address: VeronicaDecker.com.

In preparation for the 3rd chemotherapy I needed a pre-chemo appointment with Cyndi, David’s PA. The findings were such that I’ve gained another pound (one for each treatment so far), and as usual my blood count is off. This time my ALT (liver indicator) was high so they had to decrease my Taxotere dose by 10%. I had additional Dexamethasone (steroid) to prevent an allergic reaction to Taxotere. I had no problems with the infusion this time. It did take two needle pokes to get the IV started but all the drugs ran in well and I was out of the office in 3 ½ hours. David spent most of the time with me keeping me company. My blood pressure always seems to drop during treatment so they hydrate me well and I nibble on crackers. I couldn’t have better nursing care. It was nurse’s week so all the nurses wore special shirts and blue jeans. They gave me one too, so it was the second time in my working history that I wore blue jeans to work (I’ve been working professionally since 1975). I never wore blue jeans with my Cancer Counseling patients, or at Beaumont, Huron and only one day to MSU. It’s so uncharacteristic of me – but it felt good for a change and I was proud to be identified as a nurse at Cancer Care Associates (CCA).

A couple of nights ago I went to my hairdresser to have my wig washed and styled. It has been a month since I started wearing it and Susan’s Special Needs in Pleasant Ridge recommended washing it every month. Linda was kind enough to stay late so I didn’t have to have the wig off in front of strangers. I have to admit that seeing the wig wet and looking like a rag was scary. I thought ‘holy crap that thing cost me $1400 and it will never look good again’. However, she plopped it on my head, blew it dry in the regular way, trimmed a little and it is now looking more and more like my old hair. I don’t like wearing it but I don’t like scarves and the base ball hat just doesn’t make it at work. I bought some dangling ear rings for when I do wear the base ball cap. You can see I have no hair in the back of my head but I think I look okay with the long ear rings and casual clothes. I still have eye brows but not much other hair on the body. My skin is really, really light – kind of pale. Let’s face it I’m looking my age and then some. Just saying that makes me cry but as I mentioned in previous email – it doesn’t take much to make me cry now a day’s. I’d like to blame the treatments but I think it’s a combination of the cancer diagnoses, bad economy affecting CCA, Mom Decker dying, missing the kids, hospitalization last week and the treatment. I’m probably depressed.

Yesterday, we missed Dima’s graduation from MSU with her PhD. I was sad to miss that great event. We’re so proud she persevered for five years to complete the program and now is Dima Alkawwas Decker, PhD. I was fortunate enough to spend many nights with her the year I worked at MSU in East Lansing (April 2007-April 2008). That was actually a blessing. Marc and Dima head out to U of Iowa next week to look for a condo to buy and then they will plan to move by August.

CCA is hosting a book signing event for me on May 19th from 4pm-6pm at the Royal Oak office. ONS provided post cards, sent out notices to 500 ONS nurses in our area, signage and in general has helped with marketing the event. Obviously, I’ve never had a book signing so I don’t know if one person will show up or 20. We shall see.

All else is fine. I plan to stay home today. Probably I’ll rest because I didn’t sleep last night. David hopes to play with his new motorcycle and catch up on errands.

Mothers Day tomorrow should be low key with Brian, Yanni and Brianna joining us for the day. Happy Mother’s Day to all you mothers.

Keep the thoughts and prayers coming our way as I will do the same for you.

Love,

Veronice

No comments:

Post a Comment